Pin It!

11.26.2011

disintegration

I have 417 friends on Facebook. 417 friends who survived my last mass-deletion.

I talk to maybe 20 of them on a regular basis. Maybe 15 through text/e-mail/Facebook. Maybe 10 in person or on the phone. About 3 of them know me really, really well.

All else is just background noise.

So what's the point?
How has this "social networking" actually done anything for my friendships? If anything it's made me lazy and unintentional with my friends. I don't have to remember their birthdays because Facebook will remind me. I don't have to call and see how they are because their status updates inform me. I don't have to ask them what's new in their lives because I can just look at their pictures.

I have this on-line community that actually breaks down the essence of what real community means. 

So, I ask again: What's the point?


No comments:

Post a Comment