Pin It!

2.19.2017

giving myself permission

I made a NewYears Resolution this year that I would start writing again.

And like with every year's resolution, I did write for a little while. But then after about 4 days my writing tapered off and I started waking up every Monday morning (my writing day) saying, 'Today, I will write!" ... and then it was 11pm Monday night and I had written nothing.

This is no irregular pattern for me. Having a desire - a skill I want to hone or a project I want to get done - and not following through. Our small apartment is full of these unfinished projects. Unfinished poems, songs, paintings, nutrition plans...  and it is actually quite okay with me because lately I have given myself permission not to finish everything I start. Permission to try new things and not like them, or just not finish because I plain lose interest. Permission to have unfinished business.

And yet today I need a different type of permission. And I need this permission because writing isn't like all those other things I set out to do and don't finish. I like writing. Love it, in fact. Especially when it isn't the school type or writing... though I even like that sometimes too. It is therapeutic, helps me process, and is probably one of the only ways I remember anything. I also like writing because I believe I am good at it (someone pinch me... did I just say I was good at something? That never happens. No like honestly - I'm pretty self-deprecatory). But yes, most of the time I think I'm good at writing, and I want to be better. 

But for the past 2 months I haven't been publishing anything anywhere because I've been afraid. Afraid that maybe I'm not as good at it as I think I am. Afraid no one will read it. Afraid that the words I write will not be found interesting or significant by anyone but me. And then I realize that I need more permission... Permission to not writing something dazzling every day, but just to write for the sake of writing something, Permission to give up my people-pleasing ways and create something that, if no one reads it, could really just be for me. And finally, permission to be courageous and just do it: just write! 

Not always my strong suit - courage that is. Seriously. I did a personality test with my husband a few weeks ago and my personality description literally said that I was a cautious person in all areas of life, and in particular that I spend a lot of time planning moves and not a ton of time executing them (unless life - or my job - requires it, which they always do!). And so on Jan 1st I planned to write, and I did a little bit, but it never once wound up on my blog - the blog that when I was 15 I posted on almost every day (you can read the archives... I'm sure my 15-year-old brain was even more dazzling than this 28-year-old one, ha). 

And so today I am giving myself permission. 
Permission to be courageous.
Permission to fail.
And permission, more than anything else, to write.

So here goes, friends.

Want to come along for the ride?




No comments:

Post a Comment