Pin It!

1.28.2011

I got an interesting e-mail from one of my best friends today. She says that there is this lady at her work who is struggling financially. This woman is recently single, as her husband left her, and finds herself spiraling towards debt.

The e-mail was asking me for money. My friend wanted to know if I would be willing to help this lady out by buying her a gift card.

Now, let me tell you: this was one of the best e-mails I have ever received.

I was overwhelmed by this e-mail, it really brought tears to my eyes that there are people out there who really do care for their neighbors and who are being Jesus to people every day. It actually even surprised me at first, that there were actually people out there who are active in their pursuit of good things. Lately I have been grappling with my frustration over the state of passivity that the Church has been in. I hope that my generation can be one that will change this - a generation that will move from this comfortable passive Christianity to a real and active and passionate Christianity rooted in loving God through loving people.

Right now, this friend is probably the biggest inspiration I have in my life. She is so strong, and kind and persistent. God is going to do amazing things with her life, and I am so glad that I know her and am thankful for the positive influence that her friendship is. She gives me hope for people; for the Church. She gives me hope for myself. God has transformed her life in unbelievable ways over the past 4 years, and I am still amazed at how different she has become.

Friends like that are a gift; the really good ones are pretty rare, so I'd encourage you to give them a call if you haven't spoken to them in a while, or even if you have, and let them know how thankful you are to have them in your life. I am so thankful for the friends that I have in my life, and I don't tell them that enough.

photo via (we heart it)

No comments:

Post a Comment