Pin It!

1.31.2007

worse for wear

I want to become a better person... not.
I think the whole reason we want to become better people is so that other people will like us more. But where is the gain in that? If you change to make one person like you, someone else won't like you. This is the reality: there will always be someone who judges you. There will always be someone that you don't quite get along with or who you just can't seem to build a relationship with. But who cares? God doesn't call us to have everyone love us. He calls us to love everyone. Having enemies is Biblical. Jesus had people that hated him, they went so far as to kill him because they disagreed with his message and way of life so much. But the most important thing is, Jesus loved them. Jesus didn't water down his ministry so that more people would love him. If he did that he would not have been true to himself, or to his father.
"'What i want is anything God can do for me to make me more desirable in my own eyes.' To talk in that way is a sign that the reality of the Gospel of God has not begun to touch me; there is not reckless abandon to God. God cannot deliver me while my interest is merely in my own character." (Everythign Counts- Steve Case)
I think that's something that everyone struggles with, even me. We walk around and think we are being all "selfless" becasue we open doors for people, or smile at strangers, or let other people decided what they want to do. We sit back and say "it doesn't matter to me what we do" thinking that people will think we are self sacrificial because we let the wants of others come before our own wants. But the thing is, if we're not doing those things with the character of Christ in mind, then it's meaningless. People may not see past our charade, but God does. He knows our hearts. That's why it's soo important to be focused on the character of Christ. We do nice things for people because it makes us look good. Don't get me wrong, often we are genuine, we do things because we want to show people that we care. For example, unless i really want to do a particular activity while hanging out with my frineds, i just say that we can do whatever they want. It's not cuz im trying to be selfless and make them think that im a sacrificial person, but because, as long as im with the people i care about, i really don't care WHAT we are doing (unless that something isn't God-honouring).
But sometimes i find myself doing things so that people will notice what i nice person i am. I forget that Christ should be my motivation.
i think that REAL selflessness is living with the very essence of Jesus. Not living so that we can get further, but so that God's Kingdom can.
Just a random thought i had while reading my devo's today.

No comments:

Post a Comment