Pin It!

2.08.2008

where's the love?

This is an exerpt from a private letter to Brian Flemming, an atheist movie producer: "You've definately got some nerve! I'd love to take a knife, gut you fools, and scream with joy as your insides spill out in front of you. You are attempting to ignite a Holy War in which someday i, and others like me, may have the pleasure of taking the action like the above mentioned. However, God teaches us not to seek vengance but to pray for those like you all. Therefore, I'll get comfort knowing that the punishment God will bring to you will be a thousand times worse than anything I can inflict. The best part will be that you will suffer for eternity for these sins that you're completely ignorant about. The wrath of God will show no mercy for your sake. I hope the truth is revealed to you before the knife conects with your flesh.
P.S. Merry Christmas."

That letter was sent my a Christian in a North aMerican country.
Funny how though the crusades are over, we still find ways to impose religious violence on those who do not agree with our beliefs, even if those methods are not directly violent themselves.
I've started listening to a series of sermons by Bruxey Cavey titled "The God Debate." I listened to the first sermon today (yes I took up listening to sermons. no Bjorn did not influence me. I gave up TV for Lent and took up more audio...)
Whether you believe in God or not, I encourage you to listen to these sermons. They aren't what you expect, and I think that's why I like them so much. I always catch myself saying, "Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship." Those words are true, but how many Christians actually act that out these days? Bruxey's talks are an attempt to bring understanding between Christians and Atheists. He attempts to bridge the gap, explore common ground and show where Christians, who think they are always right and everything an atheist or believer in evolution says is wrong, are actually wrong themselves.
His point is education, no ignorance. Understanding, not bigotry. Love, not hatred.
Really interesting. And eye opening, considering that I myself, growing up in a Christian home, would never have thought that a Christian would write a letter like the one quoted above to an atheist, someone they should be extending love and compassion to.
We want change and then we don't realize that we are the ones stopping it from happening.
Christianity is supposed to be the "Religion of Love." Where the heck has that idea gone?
Anyways... some more random thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment